CBD products have become increasingly popular over the last few years. The relaxation of laws has allowed companies that manufacture CBD-infused products to get more creative. Now, you can find countless CBD products, including gummies, oils, bath bombs, and lotions.
But this explosion of popularity in the mainstream market has led to many questions. Many wonder if these products are effective and how long does CBD take to work? Others question the safety of ingesting CBD.
The answers to these questions are complex as they depend on the type of CBD product you’re using, your body composition, and more. While there’s no simple answer, you can educate yourself about the available CBD product options and common CBD side effects.
- How quickly or strongly you feel the effects of CBD will differ depending on the type of CBD products you use, your body composition, and your metabolism.
- The type of CBD in the product will determine its potency and how quickly it will take effect. Additionally, different products serve different purposes.
- It’ll take time and patience to determine the best CBD products for your needs.
A Brief Introduction to CBD Products
CBD, or cannabidiol, is one of more than 80 different chemical compounds found in cannabis. Unlike THC, which is found in marijuana, CBD is non-psychoactive, which means you won’t feel the effects of being “high.”
However, CBD is believed to have many health benefits, such as promoting full-body wellness and relaxation. You can find CBD in many products, including:
- Tinctures and oils
- Vape cartridge
The quality of these products varies, so it’s important to do your research and only purchase items from high-quality, trusted sources. One way to do so is to check the product’s Certificate of Authenticity (CoA). This can be found by scanning the QR code on the package of your CBD products.
When you scan the QR code, you’ll be directed to the company’s website where you’ll find the CoA for your product. The CoA will tell you:
- The amount of THC in the product
- The recommended CBD dosage
- When the product was tested
- The lab that performed the testing
This allows you to shop with confidence for your CBD products and ensure you’re only giving your body top-quality supplements.
The Effectiveness of CBD
So how long does it take to feel the CBD effects? The answer depends on the type of CBD product you’re using and what you’re using it for. Let’s take a look at the most common ways people use CBD and compare the length of time it takes for the product to work.
If you want a type of CBD you can easily ingest before or after a workout, try CBD gummies. These oral CBD treats are commonly used to help people feel calm and relaxed, especially during recovery after a grueling workout.
How Long Do They Take to Kick In?
Before you feel the effect of a CBD gummy, it has to move through your digestive tract. The length of time you’ll have to wait for your CBD gummies to begin to work depends on:
- Your body weight – The heavier you are, the longer it may take for you to feel the effects of CBD edibles, like gummies. If you have a higher body index, you may also need to consume more gummies to feel the same impact as someone who may weigh less.
- Your metabolism – Ever wondered, how long does CBD stay in your system? If you have a fast-moving metabolism, you might feel the effects of CBD gummies more quickly. However, the impact will fade faster because your body will move the CBD through your system rapidly.
- Your diet – Your body will process CBD faster if your stomach is empty than if you just ate a large meal. So, if you’re looking for a gummy to take effect, eat it on an empty stomach or after a long workout.
Remember, the CBD needs to travel through your digestive system before it can make its way into your bloodstream, which means it’ll take longer for you to feel its effects. To that end, it’ll take anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours for a CBD gummy to take effect.
How Long Do CBD Gummies Last?
Unfortunately, this is another question that has no exact or simple answer. The same factors that contribute to how long it takes you to feel the effects of CBD will also impact how long you feel them.
In addition, the concentration of CBD in the product will make a difference in how long it lasts. Consuming a higher concentration of CBD gummies will cause them to stay in your body longer.
What Can You Expect to Feel?
Not all people experience the effects of CBD gummies in the same way. Some people who want help overcoming feelings of unease and nervousness report feeling more calm and relaxed when taking CBD, while others claim to have more healthy, restful sleep at night.
An alternative to consuming CBD in gummy form is to take it as an oil that you place under your tongue with a dropper. These CBD oil products are made using a mixture of oils and other ingredients and come in a variety of flavors.
How Long Does it Take To Kick In?
Because sublingual CBD bypasses the digestive tract, you’ll actually feel the effects of a CBD oil more quickly than you will an edible—in approximately 15 minutes. It’s important to keep in mind that CBD oil products are much stronger and more concentrated than other types of CBD products.
How Long Does CBD Oil Last?
The amount of time an oil’s effects will last depends on the concentration of CBD in the product. It may also depend on the type of CBD that it contains.
- Isolate – Products that contain CBD isolate have been refined to eliminate most trace amounts of THC. Additionally, it’s a more pure form of CBD, meaning it can be more easily absorbed and expelled from the body.
- Full-spectrum – In contrast, full-spectrum CBD contains other types of cannabinoids, including THC, as well as essential oils and terpenes. To that end, full-spectrum CBD is more potent than the CBD isolate variety and may create longer-lasting effects.
What Can You Expect to Feel?
While it varies by person, those who use CBD oil may experience improved energy, attentiveness, and focus.
Many who experience stiffness in their joints have turned to topical CBD products to help ease physical discomfort. Some items you can try include:
- Lotions – Rubbing a CBD body lotion over stiff joints is a popular method for athletes looking to recover quickly and get back to their workouts as soon as possible.
- Creams – Similar to CBD lotion, using a CBD sports cream can have a soothing effect on uncomfortable joint pain.
- Bath bombs – If relaxing in the bath after a tough workout is more your style, then you should try CBD bath bombs. These can revive sore muscles and help you clear your mind while you soak.
How Long Does it Take To Kick In?
Generally, because CBD is fat-soluble, it takes longer for the skin to absorb the CBD cream or lotion and enter your bloodstream.
It’s difficult to say how long it’ll take for you to feel the impact of topical CBD products. Some claim to find relief within minutes of applying the CBD cream or CBD lotion, although this varies by user.
How Long Does Topical CBD Last?
Typically, those who experience relief from topical CBD products can expect it to last for up to six hours. However, it may differ depending on your body’s unique composition.
What Can You Expect to Feel?
Athletes and those who suffer from joint pain might begin to notice that their discomfort is relieved after using a topical CBD product.
Tips For Optimizing Your Lifestyle With CBD
You must keep in mind that everyone’s body is unique and the level of effectiveness you feel from CBD may differ. That being said, there are some recommended approaches to optimize your experience with CBD extract:
- For best results, establish a routine for ingesting CBD regularly. This may include incorporating a gummy into your workout routine or ending each day with a sip of CBD tea.
- Start small. Give your body a chance to react to a minimal amount of CBD before upping the CBD dosage, and be patient, it’ll take time to figure out what works for you.
- Only buy products from trusted manufacturers.
- Avoid CBD vape, which has been linked to serious lung problems.
- Talk to your doctor before using any CBD products and ask about interactions with any medicines you’re taking before using CBD.
- Don’t compare your body’s response to others.
If you follow these tips, you’ll be more likely to have a positive, health-packed experience using CBD.
Incorporate CBD You Can Trust With Resilience CBD
How long does it take for CBD to work? The amount of time it takes for CBD to kick in varies depending on your method of use and the concentration of CBD in the product, as well as several physiological factors unique to your body. To that end, it’s important to experiment with each CBD product to find a product that works best for you.
For premium, lab-tested CBD products that enhance your wellness and recovery, shop Resilience CBD.
We offer a wide selection of products to help you reach your full potential, from CBD gummies to CBD bath bombs. Support your mind, body, and workout with Resilience CBD.
Michael Tatz | Linkedin
Michael Tatz is the Co-Founder of Resilience CBD, and a passionate leader in the health & fitness world helping others rise to and crush their wildest goals. A former Division 1 college wrestler, Army Officer, and investment manager at Goldman Sachs, he has pushed his body and mind to the limits on the mats, dressed in camo, and in the boardroom.
Today, he spends his time leading Resilience CBD to develop the absolute best recovery products for athletes everywhere. Resilience was founded after CBD personally impacted Michael’s life, and the brand was built to partner with everyday athletes in pursuit of conquering their most difficult challenges, rebounding after their toughest performances, and rising to their goals that once seemed impossible.
FDA. What You Need to Know About Products Containing Cannabis or Cannabis-Derived Compounds, Including CBD. https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/what-you-need-know-and-what-were-working-find-out-about-products-containing-cannabis-or-cannabis
WebMD. Is CBD Safe to Carry on a Plane? https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/news/20191127/is-cbd-safe-to-carry-on-a-plane
Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse and Addiction. 7 Things You Need to Know About Edible Cannabis. https://www.ccsa.ca/sites/default/files/2019-06/CCSA-7-Things-About-Edible-Cannabis-2019-en.pdf
Healthcare Weekly. How Long Does CBD Last? https://healthcareweekly.com/how-long-does-cbd-last/
Healthline. Isolate vs. Full Spectrum CBD: Which One is Right For You? https://www.healthline.com/health/cbd-isolate-vs-full-spectrum#how-to-use
FDA. Lung Injuries Associated With The Use of Vaping Products. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/public-health-focus/lung-injuries-associated-use-vaping-product