As an athlete, you’re always looking for an edge. Your goal is to train harder, perform better, and reach the peak of your athletic performance. Then, of course, you want to maintain it!
So what about CBD for athletes?
Non-psychoactive CBD is increasingly popular amongst athletes looking to improve their overall health and vitality so that they can reach the next level of athletic performance.
In this short guide, we’ll cover 5 reasons why all athletes should try out CBD’s famous health benefit firsthand.
- CBD can help soothe achy, sore muscles after rigorous workouts.
- Sleeping well is a vital step for muscle recovery—and CBD can help with that, too.
- CBD can help encourage a positive mindset, which can make all the difference when you’re trying to go that extra mile.
- As an athlete, you know better than most the value of balance, not only in your chosen sport but also in your life. CBD can help you achieve mind-body balance from the inside out.
- Whatever your sport or athletic practice, it can be difficult to get into the Zone when anxious thoughts and daily stress cloud your mind. CBD can help you manage stress, which can lead to amazing long-term health benefits.
- From taking CBD oil to applying soothing CBD cream, there are a multitude of ways you can incorporate CBD into your athletic routine.
#1 Soothe Muscles and Speed Recovery
CBD is a popular aid for helping soothe sore muscles.
To understand why we’ll need to revisit an age-old question—why are your muscles sore the day after you exercise?
In high school gym class, you might have learned that the dull, aching feeling was all due to lactic acid. However, modern science shows that this isn’t usually the case. Instead:
- Working out causes microscopic tears to the muscle. This partially comes in the form of aches and muscle soreness.
- Your body recognizes these as injuries, and your nervous system sends signals to your immune system to send help.
- The site of the tears becomes inflamed—a normal response to a perceived threat. White blood cells and other molecules arrive at the scene of inflammation to help repair the damaged muscles.
- The muscles are repaired and built back stronger than before.
This amazing process results in stronger muscle—but most of us don’t enjoy the stiffness, burning, and discomfort that comes with post-exercise inflammation. In fact, a prolonged post workout recovery period can even be an impediment to training. It’s hard to hit the weight room again when you can barely get off the couch!
Thankfully, CBD can help soothe inflammation and sore muscles by interacting with receptors throughout the body’s endocannabinoid system. The endocannabinoid system is closely intertwined with the nervous system and helps your body manage key functions such as stress, mood, muscle discomfort, sleep, and more. CBD helps to support the endocannabinoid system so you can enjoy a smoother recovery time after a rigorous training session.
Try using CBD in one of the following ways to find some post-workout relief:
- Apply a CBD Sports Cream directly to your sore muscles. Resilience’s cream pairs CBD with arnica, eucalyptus, menthol, and other anti inflammatory properties derived from natural substances.
- Use a CBD bath bomb for a luxurious way to unwind after a particularly vigorous workout.
- Take CBD oil after exerting your muscles. Resilience’s refreshing lemon-lime flavor helps you stay alert after a vigorous workout. Alternatively, you could place a few drops in your post-exercise smoothie.
Along with a healthy diet, plenty of water, and other healthy habits, CBD may make it easier to get back to your workout routine sooner.
#2 Sleep Well
How well you sleep is another important factor in your post-exercise recovery.
The National Federation of Personal Trainers explains why sleep is so central for athletes:
- Your body needs time to recover and repair micro-damage from exercise, and your body heals fastest during sleep.
- Insufficient sleep is linked to poor physical health. Tired muscles can’t support your tendons and ligaments, which increases your risk of injury during your next injury.
- Deep sleep helps your body release more Human Growth Hormone and build muscle mass.
But how much sleep is enough for an athlete? When you’re exercising intensely, you may need 9-10 hours of sleep per night to recover.
However, it can be challenging to quiet your mind enough to get in those ZZZ’s before your alarm goes off and it’s time to start your morning training routine.
If this is the case, CBD may help. CBD doesn’t necessarily make you sleepy. However, it does help you relax and clear away negative thoughts. In addition, it can help soothe any minor muscle soreness or muscle twitching that may otherwise keep you up at night.
Thanks to these effects, CBD can encourage healthy sleep cycles. Try using it an hour or two before bed to help your mind and body wind down. But for best results, additional lifestyle changes like lowering caffeine intake and setting a consistent bedtime can make a big difference in your sleep as well.
#3 Stay Positive
When it comes to excelling at your sport, part of the game is mental. It’s not just about training harder, running faster, and jumping higher, but also having the focus and positivity to keep going for the gold day after day.
Hopefully, you have an arsenal of ways to keep good vibes on heavy rotation, whether it’s your workout playlist, your mantra, or a favorite trail for your morning runs.
However, if you need a little extra motivation, CBD may help you find the energy, focus, and positivity you need to succeed.
- CBD interacts with and supports the body’s endocannabinoid system. This network of nerve receptors helps support your memory, sleep cycles, response to stress, and of course, your mood.
- Want to feel more positive? Try adding CBD gummies to your vitamin routine. If you’re not already taking vitamins, consider pairing CBD with other mood-boosting compounds like Vitamin D, Vitamin B, and Omega-3 fatty acids.
#4 Find Your Balance
Athletes put their bodies into extreme situations. Whether you’re training for a personal best or preparing to help your team win the next big game, your enthusiasm and commitment can push you over the line into success—and to your personal edge.
But maintaining a consistent balance is just as important to meeting your goals as the miles you run or the goals you score. Balancing exertion with rest, strength with cardio, work with play can affect your mind and body and help you aspire to greatness. And for that, CBD can help.
CBD’s interaction with the endocannabinoid system helps to promote healthy balance and homeostasis—the state where everything in your body is in a resting equilibrium.
- CBD’s impact on post-exercise inflammation not only helps soothe sore muscles but also helps your body return to hormonal balance more quickly.
- Getting better sleep can help you to digest food, absorb vitamins and nutrients, and allocate the resources you need to maintain bodily processes and train as hard as you want.
- A positive mood and outlook help you deal with fatigue and life’s other little disruptions.
- Some studies show that CBD can even help regulate immune system response to keep you healthy.
If you’re looking for how to live a balanced life, CBD may be a key to avoiding the ups-and-downs that come with your sport.
#5 Reduce Stress and Support Long-Term Health
One major benefit of CBD we haven’t directly discussed is its ability to help you cope with stress. This may make intuitive sense—when you’re sleeping better, feeling more positive, and experiencing less physical discomfort, some of your daily nerve triggers may simply melt away.
CBD’s stress-alleviating effects can combine with its other properties to promote long-term health.
- Lower stress levels can reduce systemic inflammation. How does that work? When your body perceives a threat, it prepares to react. Stress feels like a constant threat, and with your immune system and nervous system on high alert, your body produces more and more inflammation. Over time, this can lead to fatigue, digestive issues, poor sleep, mood imbalances, and other issues.
- Lower stress means lower blood pressure. When your heart is working more efficiently, you’ll experience less stress on your kidneys, heart, and blood vessels. This can help deter negative health outcomes.
- A balanced body is better prepared to fight invaders. When your body isn’t battling internal threats like post-exercise inflammation and stress, it’s more able to kick into high gear when viruses, bacteria, or fungi appear.
- A balanced mind is better prepared for unexpected events. As an athlete, you never know what’s around the corner—a defeat, a personal setback, or even unanticipated attention and fame. When you’re feeling more at peace with yourself, you’re ready for whatever comes your way.
Try adding CBD to your routine to experience its benefits today and in the future.
How Athletes Can Use CBD
Are you wondering how to best incorporate CBD into your lifestyle? There are many ways to make CBD a part of your daily routine.
We’ve reviewed the fact that CBD achieves its most potent effects by interacting with the endocannabinoid system to regulate physiological functions and maintain homeostasis. That means that CBD works best when used consistently.
Options for daily use include:
- Mixing CBD oil into your morning coffee or tea along with a creamer of your choice to experience an elevated mood
- Taking CBD oil before bed to help find relaxation
- Using CBD lotion after your post-workout shower to experience head-to-toe soothing effects
CBD and Sports: A Winning Combination
When it comes to achieving athletic greatness, you already have what it takes. But a helpful CBD boost may make the difference between reaching your milestones and exceeding them. Whether you’re a swimmer who wants to lap the competition or a gymnast who wants to take the world by storm, you can find amazing athletic benefits to incorporating CBD into your daily routine.
Resilience CBD for Athletes
Resilience’s line of premium CBD products is designed to support your health and vitality. As leaders in CBD research, we’re committed to formulating products that help athletes perform and relax with equal ease.
New York Times. Work Out Now, Ache Later. https://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/16/health/nutrition/work-out-now-ache-later-how-your-muscles-pay-you-back.html
NFPT. Why Sleep and Recovery is so Important. https://www.nfpt.com/blog/why-sleep-and-recovery-is-important
Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research. Immune Responses Regulated by Cannabidiol. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7173676/