Down by the bay where the watermelons grow –
I dare not…
No, no! You have to go and get some!
Because it’s watermelon weather and your dog is drooling at the thought of a piece of delicious red refreshing crunch.
Watermelon will not only grant respite from the heat and help rehydrate, it will also nourish your dog. Although it is 92% water, it still packs some pretty important vitamins, namely A, B6, and C.
It is also a good source of potassium, a mineral that helps muscles contract, helps regulate fluids and mineral balance in the body, helps limit the development of kidney stones, and reduces the bone loss that comes with age.
A typical watermelon yields about 11 cups of watermelon cubes that weigh in at 50 calories a cup. This melon is low in not only calories, but sodium, too. And it has no cholesterol or fats. Just vitamins, minerals, amino acids and antioxidants like lycopene! It does contain sugar, but its high fiber content means that it releases sugar gradually.
You can put watermelon in a blender, then freeze in an ice cube tray for an amazingly cooling treat for your dog.
- Go one step further and put a blueberry in the middle of the cube as a special surprise.
- Or a spoonful of yogurt to mix in a few probiotics.
- Or – here’s a rad idea – a drop or two of Resilience CBD!
Here are the things you need to think about:
- We talk about cubed and crushed watermelon because the seeds and rind are harmful to dogs.
- Let’s say it again: Upset stomachs and blockages can occur if more than the meat of the melon is eaten.
- Most of us buy seedless watermelons, but if you find seeds – Take Them Out!
- If your dog has not eaten watermelon, blueberries, or yogurt, start with a small portion of just one of these. If all goes well, try the next item on the list.
- In any event, too much of a good thing is not a good thing! Give your dog melon in moderation, a cube or two at a sitting.
- Finally, do not eat all of your dog’s watermelon!
Visit us on FB, Instagram or at email@example.com and let us know how your dog is enjoying its summer treat.
Written by: Michael Tatz | Linkedin
Michael Tatz is the Co-Founder of Resilience CBD, and a passionate leader in the health & fitness world helping others rise to and crush their wildest goals. A former Division 1 college wrestler, Army Officer, and investment manager at Goldman Sachs, he has pushed his body and mind to the limits on the mats, dressed in camo, and in the boardroom.
Today, he spends his time leading Resilience CBD to develop the absolute best recovery products for athletes everywhere. Resilience was founded after CBD personally impacted Michael’s life, and the brand was built to partner with everyday athletes in pursuit of conquering their most difficult challenges, rebounding after their toughest performances, and rising to their goals that once seemed impossible.