After a long day at the gym—finally bench-pressing that hard-to-reach goal, finishing a rowing workout that rivals the pros, and even getting in a good 30-minute run—your muscles most likely feel completely exhausted.
But how’s your mind?
Most often, athletes put their bodies at the forefront of a healthy lifestyle, but it’s essential to take care of your mental health, too. A simple solution to athlete anguish? CBD gummies. Using CBD for anxiety can help! But how many should you be taking?
The answer depends on your body weight, body chemistry, and the nature of your stress or sleep troubles. But there’s also a lot more to it.
- CBD gummies help reduce tension and stress.
- When it comes to how many CBD gummies you should take for your stress, the answer largely depends on your weight and body chemistry.
- The most important thing to consider is that your CBD edibles or gummies need to have high-quality ingredients, and they need to meet their label claims.
A Rundown on CBD
CBD, short for cannabidiol, is a natural cannabinoid that’s harvested from the hemp cannabis plant. While the hemp plant falls under the same species as marijuana plants, CBD does not cause any psychoactive effect or any feeling of being “high.”
That’s because CBD can only contain 0.3% THC or less to be considered a legal substance. Instead, CBD may be your one-stop-shop to a relaxed mind and body. Overall, CBD may contribute to:
- Healthy sleep cycles – Ever wonder why you can’t be one of the lucky ones who fall asleep the moment their head hits the pillow? With CBD, you can transform into a slumbering giant in minutes. The cannabinoid is thought to interact with the endocannabinoid system (ECS) to regulate sleeping cycles and transport you into the depths of dreamland a lot faster.
- Feelings of relaxation – Just like your muscles, your mind needs a recovery period, too. Ever get home after a long day just to have your relaxation hog-tied by spinning thoughts and worries? You’re not alone. Whether you want to unwind from a stressful day or calm yourself down before a big event, adding CBD to your health regime can help soothe your mind and relieve feelings of unease.
- Reduced post-exercise inflammation – When you put stress on your muscles during exercise, the subsequent soreness can be excruciating. Soreness is the response of your body’s immune system, which sends white blood cells to an area of your body after tissue injury occurs. CBD may help reduce post-exercise-induced inflammation and offer some pain relief to help your body recover more quickly.
- Boosted energy levels – Athletes need the occasional energy boost to get through those particularly difficult workouts. While energy drinks and bars may provide a quick sugary boost, CBD may provide long-lasting energy.
Proper CBD Gummy Dosage
Let’s face it—the wellness market is practically overflowing with CBD products. There are CBD oil tinctures, lotions, cigarettes, and even bath bombs—but none are quite as delicious as CBD gummies (especially not the bath bombs). Finding the correct dose for you is important!
Putting wellness benefits aside for a moment, CBD gummies are so delicious that you’ll probably want to devour the entire package in seconds. But you shouldn’t. Unless you really are a slumbering giant.
But you’re probably not. So let’s talk CBD dosage.
When figuring out how many gummies to take in one sitting, there (unfortunately) is not a standard one-size-fits-all dosage. The amount you need to take depends on several factors, including:
- Body Weight – It’s generally recommended to take anywhere between 1 and 6 milligrams per every 10 pounds of body weight. So, if you weigh 250 pounds, you should be safe taking anywhere from 25 to 150 mg when taking CBD gummies for sleep and anxiety. Most likely, the dosage of each gummy will be labeled on the package. For example, Resilience CBD’s gummies contain 10 mg of pure CBD isolate per CBD infused gummy.
- Body Chemistry – Body chemistry is largely determined by the foods you eat. Generally, you want to aim for a more alkaline environment, which is one that’s not acidic. CBD users with a diet full of leafy greens and juicy fruits have the best bet for optimal body chemistry. Varying levels of acidity within the body may affect how CBD interacts with (and affects) your body’s systems. When taking a CBD gummy, be aware of how your body reacts, then make the appropriate adjustments.
- Nature of Sleeping or Stress Troubles – Depending on the nature of your sleep problems or feelings of unease, a CBD infused gummy may affect you differently. CBD is thought to reduce nerves and regulate your sleep schedule, but those experiencing certain medical conditions may not experience the same effects as those without.
- Desired Effects – Do you want to feel blissfully upbeat or peacefully sedated? A low dosage is optimal for those looking for somewhat of a calming buzz, while higher doses are recommended for people experiencing high levels of restlessness or post-exercise-induced inflammation.
- Metabolic Rate – As you grow older or become less active your metabolic rate decreases. This means the things you ingest stay in your body for a longer period of time. As such, younger CBD users can benefit from taking larger doses of CBD gummies since their bodies typically process and break down the cannabidiol more quickly.
- Product Quality – CBD gummies made with pure extract can create more noticeable effects on the body because of their high potency. Check the labels to see if the CBD gummies you’re consuming are third-party tested for purity and quality to ensure you’re putting the very best into your body.
If you’re still unsure about how many CBD gummies to take to ease nervousness and support your sleep, it’s best to start slow with small doses and build up gradually.
Helpful Hint: If you’re looking to support restful sleep, try taking the proper dosage about 20 minutes before you plan to go to bed. If you’re hoping to soothe your nerves, ingest the gummies as soon as your mind begins to whirl to stop unease in its tracks.
How Do CBD Gummies Work Within the Body?
As previously mentioned, CBD works directly with the endocannabinoid system to regulate sleeping schedules and moods through a network of cellular communication receptors.
When CBD enters your body, whether it’s through a gummy or topical lotion, the cannabinoids work directly with two receptors:
When the cannabinoids of CBD interact with these receptors, they can help create homeostasis within the body—the primary function of the ECS.
You might remember the term “homeostasis” from sixth-grade biology, but it essentially refers to keeping your body’s systems working properly and harmoniously. Because ECS receptors are found throughout the body’s nervous, immune, and digestive systems, the effects of CBD may be far-reaching.
In addition to cannabinoid receptors, the ECS is composed of two other core components:
- Endocannabinoids – Endocannabinoids are cannabinoids that the body makes naturally. They stimulate ECS receptors to send messages throughout the body to help regulate internal functions.
- Enzymes – Whereas endocannabinoids are the “green light” to begin cellular communication, enzymes act as a “red light” to stop the communication process by breaking down the endocannabinoids. Essentially, enzymes are the ones responsible for ending your CBD-induced sense of calm.
Negative Effects of Unease and Restlessness
Unease—a racing mind, a pumping heart, and maybe even a few cold sweats—can be a real downer on anyone’s day. And if the feeling persists? Well, it may contribute to:
- Digestive trouble
- Muscle tension
- Poor productivity or burnout
- Social isolation
Feelings of unease can also lead to restlessness, especially during the night hours. A lack of sleep can be dangerous and often leads to:
- Memory issues
- Mood changes
- Trouble with concentration
- High blood pressure
- Weight gain
- Poor balance
- Weakened immunity
CBD can be a great supplement to support healthy sleep cycles and manage nerves, but it’s also important to implement physical and mental health practices to deal with the fallout of poor mental health. In addition to taking CBD, you can also:
- Eat a nutritious diet
- Limit alcohol and drug consumption
- Take time throughout the day for deep breathing or meditation
- Exercise daily
- Go on scenic walks
- Start a gratitude journal
- Use aromatherapy and essential oils
- Talk to someone who supports you
Stay Relaxed with Resilience CBD Gummies
While studies on the effects of CBD within the body are few and far between, CBD is generally thought to address the root cause of sleeplessness: stress. And as you know, stress can be the cause of unease and nervousness, too.
With Resilience CBD Gummies in your gym or work bag, you’re guaranteed a calming experience with high-quality natural ingredients you can trust. Each of our gummies is infused with third-party-tested pure CBD extract to ensure high-quality performance. (Vegan CBD gummies also are available!)
As it turns out, a gummy a day may just keep the jitters at bay.
Start Sleeping. CBD Dosage Guide: How Much Should You Take? https://startsleeping.org/cbd-dosage/#dosage
National Library of Medicine. Toxicity of short-term administration of cannabinoids to rhesus monkeys. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6262948/
National Library of Medicine. Safety and side effects of cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22129319/
Frontiers in Psychiatry. The Unease Modulation Model: An experiential Model of Stress With Implications for Health, Stress Management, and Public Policy. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyt.2019.00379/full
Heathline. The Effects of Sleep Deprivation on Your Body. https://www.healthline.com/health/sleep-deprivation/effects-on-body