Whether you’re grinding on the gridiron or training for a half-marathon, as an athlete, your feet can take a serious beating.
That’s why post-training recovery is just as important as logging that extra mile.
Nevertheless, no matter how well you soak your sore feet or ice your ankles, some aches and injuries can take longer to heal. Luckily, with the help of CBD foot cream, you can get back on your feet more quickly.
- CBD foot cream can improve your post-workout recovery and lessen downtime between workouts by alleviating sore feet, inflammation, and dry skin. In addition, CBD foot cream can help reduce the discomfort of aching feet, which can otherwise prevent one from attaining restful sleep.
- Most athletes will, at some point in their lives, experience foot discomfort. This discomfort can greatly impact workout recovery time since foot injuries can prevent numerous types of exercise and competition.
- The main causes of foot discomfort in athletes include inflammation of the tissue, tendon, or ball of the foot. These injuries can be aided by applying CBD foot cream to the affected areas and seeking medical intervention.
Benefits of CBD Foot Cream
In recent years, CBD has become increasingly popular with athletes—especially in its CBD topical form.
Topical CBD works through dermal absorption. When applied to the skin, topical CBD acts as a soothing relief, and in fact, can help relieve aches and swelling by interacting directly with pain-signaling neurotransmitters.
As such, a topical CBD product is especially beneficial to your feet—the body part that most athletes rely on for, well, just about everything. To that end, CBD foot cream offers numerous benefits that can help all types of athletes put their best foot forward on and off the field.
#1 Alleviates Soreness and Aches
Athletes and foot discomfort go together like hot dogs and baseball. At some point in their athletic careers, most athletes will experience at least one minor foot injury.
However, the good news is that using a CBD for foot pain can help alleviate the tenderness and soreness that often follows most strenuous training days.
When applied to a specific area on the foot or ankle, CBD foot cream is absorbed into the muscle tissue to target and reduce foot discomfort. What’s more, CBD cream can help ease discomfort by providing topical heating and cooling sensations where they’re needed most.
By helping to ease soreness, CBD foot cream can be a useful addition to any post-workout recovery regimen.
#2 Reduces Swelling
Long-distance runners and gym-goers of all kinds know swelling like the back of their hands. That’s because prolonged activity often leads to reddening and aching feet. While there are many causes of foot swelling, the most common include:
- Increased blood flow to the feet – Athletes who are continuously on their feet need a constant source of oxygen delivered to their lower extremities. While an increase in blood flow carries much-needed oxygen straight to the muscles, it can also cause the feet to become enlarged, leading to stiffness in the foot muscles.
- Venous microtears – Regardless of whether you run ten miles or sprint five hundred yards, the veins in your feet are always prone to microtears. As its name implies, a venous microtear is a small tear in the capillaries that deliver oxygen. Overuse is the most common cause of microtears. However, they’re almost always non-serious, just uncomfortable.
- Dehydration – When most people think of the causes of swelling, they normally think of impact-related traumas. However, dehydration is just as likely a culprit. When we exert ourselves, sodium is directed into our muscles from our bloodstreams. Along with sodium, water is also pulled, causing the feet to swell.
Regardless of the cause of swelling, CBD foot cream helps reduce swollen feet by promoting blood flow to the affected areas, alleviating tightness, and lessening uncomfortable aches. In turn, CBD foot creams can help you get back on the golf course quicker than you can yell “fore!”
#3 Nourishes and Moisturizes the Skin
Most likely, the last thing you’re thinking about when working out is how hydrated your feet are. However, fully nourished and moisturized feet are often the foundation of a comfortable and effective workout.
The truth is, dry and cracked feet can often lead to aches and discomfort, which can deter your workout plans for the day. Fortunately, CBD foot cream can help keep your feet supple and flexible.
CBD foot cream contains natural ingredients and antioxidants that help get your feet back to peak performance. Some of these ingredients may include CBD extract, menthol, shea butter, or essential oils. The benefits of using CBD foot cream to protect and cleanse skin include:
- Increased flexibility – There’s a reason why athletes massage their muscles before and after a hard workout. Massaging with CBD foot cream helps muscles loosen up pre-workout and feel better after a long afternoon on the soccer field. By providing heating and cooling sensations, CBD foot cream gives the muscles in the feet that much-needed comfort.
- Sunburn and chapping prevention – You may think that because the feet are often shielded from the sun, they can’t get sunburnt. However, some sports, such as swimming and surfing, feature shoeless conditions that can fry your feet faster than you can say “cowabunga.” Thankfully, CBD foot creams that contain aloe vera and coconut oil like Resilience CBD Sports Cream can help lessen the uncomfortable effects of a sunburn.
- Blemish reduction – If you’ve ever had a skin blemish, such as a pimple or blackhead, you know that they can sometimes be troublesome. This is especially true if blemishes occur on the feet. It may not seem like much, but a large pimple has the potential to “pop” a day’s workout plans. CBD foot creams help cleanse the skin, clearing blocked pores and kicking foot blemishes to the curb.
- Wrinkle mitigation – While not necessarily tied to performance, like sunburns and blemishes, wrinkles can be a nuisance for many people. This is because wrinkles are often an indication of excessive sweating and dry skin. CBD foot cream can help reduce wrinkles by increasing oil production and aiding blood circulation.
#4 Promotes Restful Sleep
Although CBD foot cream cannot be ingested like CBD oil, it can still help promote a night of restful sleep. In essence, foot discomfort is just that—uncomfortable, and this discomfort can often lead to tossing and turning throughout the night.
When applied to the foot, CBD foot cream can reduce spot-specific swelling and tension, leading to a better night’s sleep—and when it comes to recovery, the benefits of sleep can’t be understated.
Simply put, sleeping provides our muscles and veins with downtime to repair microtears and other stressors. To that end, a good night’s sleep can greatly improve your next day’s performance and decrease the chance of further injury.
Causes of Foot Injury in Athletes
If you’re an athlete, chances are you’ve felt foot discomfort at one time or another. In most cases, foot aches are minor—nothing more than muscle soreness from stealing second base or stopping quickly for a jump shot.
But sometimes foot discomfort goes beyond the occasional stiff joint or tweaked toe. While CBD foot cream can support foot recovery, it’s also important to seek medical advice if your injury is persistent. Additionally, CBD foot cream cannot treat the cause of foot discomfort, only support muscle recovery.
Nevertheless, let’s break down the most common causes of foot injury in athletes:
#1 Tissue Swelling
Swelling of the tissue that connects the heel to the toe is most commonly caused by excessive running. However, this type of foot discomfort can also be caused by improper footwear and joint stiffness.
When identifying whether you’re experiencing tissue swelling, look out for the following:
- Heel discomfort
- Arch tenderness
- Foot tightness or soreness
Because tissue swelling primarily results from stressing the tissue attached to the heel, long-distance runners, ballet dancers, and soccer players are the athletes most prone to this type of injury.
#2 Swelling of the Ball of the Foot
The swelling of the ball of the foot is usually a benign injury common to athletes who run or jump a lot. Looking at you, basketball players. If you experience this type of injury, you’ll often experience:
- Tenderness in the ball of the foot
- The feeling that you have something in your shoe
- Numbness or tingling in the toes
There are many things you can do to prevent swelling, but wearing proper footwear is chief among them.
#3 Swelling of the Tendon
One of the most common injuries to athletes, the swelling of the tendon can occur anywhere on the body—or at least anywhere tendons connect to bone.
In short, this type of injury involves an inflamed tendon. There are many causes of inflamed tendons, but the most common is overuse due to excessive exercise. Symptoms include:
- Soreness in the heel, bottom, or top of the foot
- Snapping sounds or sensations in the ankle
- Flat feet or fallen arches
This type of injury is rarely serious, but it can cause serious discomfort. As such, consider supplementing your recovery plan with a CBD foot cream to reduce recovery time.
Recover with Resilience: Your Trusted CBD Expert
When it comes to determination and grit, athletes are at the top of their game, pushing themselves harder and harder each day. While strenuous workouts can lead to impressive gains, they can also lead to cumbersome foot discomfort.
Fortunately, Resilience CBD foot cream is here to help. As America’s leader in CBD science and research, we’re determined to help you achieve your best results. That’s because our topical CBD creams, made with natural ingredients, help promote post-workout recovery.
Whether you’re kicking, jumping, running, or swimming, you can recover quickly with a Resilience CBD product. Interested in making a CBD cream of your own? Visit our website for a step by step tutorial on how to make CBD lotion.
Discover. Yes, CBD Creams Relieve Pain. But Science is Still Learning About the Benefits and Risks. https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/yes-cbd-creams-relieve-pain-but-science-is-still-learning-about-the-benefits
Foot Health Facts. Foot Health Facts for Athletes. https://www.foothealthfacts.org/article/foot-health-facts-for-athletes
NCBI. Antioxidative and Anti-Inflammatory Properties of Cannabidiol. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7023045/
Mayo Clinic. Metatarsalgia. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/metatarsalgia/symptoms-causes/syc-20354790
Runner’s World. Why Do Runners Get Swollen Feet? https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a31139613/swollen-feet/
Tread Labs. Tendinitis in the Foot Causes and Treatment. https://treadlabs.com/blogs/insoles-reach-your-stride/tendonitis-foot-symptoms-causes
U.S. News. Do Topical CBD Products Work? https://health.usnews.com/wellness/articles/do-topical-cbd-products-work