Whether you’re a seasoned endurance athlete or just getting started on a new gym routine, you know that a strong sense of motivation can make the difference between floundering on the sidelines and hitting your intense workout goals.
When we feel motivated to work out, we can do it all—face tough challenges and push beyond our comfort zones. But when our motivation is lacking, we’re vulnerable to backsliding—missing out on critical opportunities to boost our health and achieve our wellness goals.
Luckily, there are myriad ways to pump up your motivation to work out, from building a strategic schedule to incorporating CBD for focus into your wellness routine. Let’s explore a few of the best ways to get motivated to workout below.
- Make workouts a part of your routine – By sticking to a workout routine, you can build stores of motivation and begin to understand working out as essential and enjoyable. To get to a place where your exercise routine feels second nature, try writing a “workout contract,” training with friends, and honoring your milestones.
- Set yourself up for encouraging wins – By setting attainable goals and working to complete them, you may enjoy a motivating surge of confidence—proving to yourself that your hard work can pay off and that you’re capable of reaching your objectives you set forth in your workout plan.
- Incorporate CBD into your regimen – Some studies suggest that CBD may have a stimulating effect in lower doses, providing energy and focus that may help you tap into your fitness motivation and harness your full health and wellness potential.
Step 1: Stick to a Workout Schedule
If you’re wondering how to get the motivation to workout, here’s an easy way to propel your fitness motivation. Create a workout schedule—and stick to it.
While it’s certain that life will always be a little hectic—there’s no way to account for every surprise morning meeting or sudden looming deadline—you should strive to dedicate some time each day for physical activity, whether it’s in the morning, afternoon, or evening.
Get out your calendar and block off times for your workouts. Get ahead of busy weeks and potential conflicts by building an exercise routine that’s amenable to your lifestyle and obligations—and endeavor to honor it every day.
Soon enough, you’ll begin to understand working out as essential to your well-being—an activity that’s as crucial as eating and sleeping. Plus, as a non-negotiable part of your day (that you finally enjoy, thanks to surging levels of feel-good post-exercise endorphins), you’ll feel intrinsically motivated to get it done.
However, if you’re just starting on a new workout plan, you might benefit from additional motivation to help you stay on track and form healthy lifestyle habits that are sure to last.
Tips for Rising to Your Routine
In the face of stacked calendars and stressful schedules, it can be tempting to skip out on your planned workouts. Here are some tips for sticking to your routines and boosting your motivation:
- Sign a contract – According to research, we’re far more likely to see through our commitments when our reputation is on the line. Draft up a “workout contract” and sign it in front of your friends and family. Pledge that you’ll stick to your fitness routine on the sufferance of embarrassment or cash. Including your tribe in your efforts can help keep you accountable—especially if you put some money on the line.
- Workout in a group – Peer pressure has its downsides, but it can be a motivating force when it comes to working out. By merging your fitness goals with your social life, you can introduce the element of accountability and take advantage of motivation that, on its face, might not even fully relate to working out—like your motivation to gossip over smoothies after spin, or catch up with your spotter at the squat rack.
- Invest in classes – Investing your hard-earned money in prepaid classes and gym memberships might compel you to keep on showing up, even on those mornings when the idea of sleeping in seems tempting.
- Reward yourself – Celebrate the little wins that mark your journey. Don’t let a milestone, or mini-milestone, pass you by. For every month that you stick to your routine, honor your hard work with a treat. Bonus points if your reward has a motivational pull of its own, like a pair of new running shoes or a Pilates Reformer class that you’ve wanted to try for ages.
Step 2: Honor Your Pace
It might be tempting to set a massive short term or long term goal to spur your fitness journey, like competing in a decathlon half marathon or summiting a treacherous peak. But undertaking unattainable fitness goals can result in discouragement and self-doubt, two feelings that can derail your motivation.
Consider, instead, setting achievable, snack-sized goals that are specific, manageable, quantifiable, and suited to your experience level. These might include:
- Completing a 5k
- Taking a yoga class 3 times a week
- Holding a plank for 1 minute
- Increasing your maximum deadlift weight by 20 pounds
- Incorporating a new discipline—like dance, or high-intensity training—into your routine once a week
No matter what your goal may be, you should track your progress and take note of your accomplishments. As soon as you see that you’re capable of following through with your commitments and attaining your concrete goals, you’re likely to feel a surge of pride, and with that, an increased sense of motivation.
Just remember to respect your pace along the way, tapping into your reserves of patience when the going gets tough. By showing up, and taking it slow when you need to, you’ll be able to rise to the challenges you’ve set without burning out—enjoying a sustainable, healthy journey.
Step 3: Incorporate CBD into Your Routine
Perhaps you’re aware that cannabidiol (CBD), a non-psychoactive compound found in the cannabis plant, has shown promise for its potential to support restful sleep, soothe stress, and aid in muscle recovery. But some research indicates that CBD’s important work may not stop there. Indeed, according to certain studies, CBD may also help promote increased energy and focus.
Could CBD products empower your workout motivation? It’s definitely possible. Some studies suggest that CBD may have a stimulating effect, especially at lower doses—boosting alertness, wakefulness, and focus.
To understand CBD’s motivational potential, let’s take a closer look at the way it functions in the body.
CBD and the Endocannabinoid System
When CBD enters the body, it interacts with the endocannabinoid system (ECS), a complex system of molecules, receptors, and enzymes that researchers believe connects to a diverse array of bodily systems, including:
- Energy metabolism
While it’s still unclear just how CBD works within the ECS, many experts believe that it serves to prevent the breakdown of endocannabinoids—supporting the critical metabolic and mood-boosting work of the ECS.
It’s conceivable, then, given the ECS’s connection to metabolism and mood, that CBD may support increased levels of energy and mood. Subsequently, it may support increased levels of motivation.
CBD and Your Workout Routine
If you’re looking for a boost to get you to the gym or wondering how to get motivated to workout, you might want to consider incorporating CBD into your health and fitness routine through:
Unlike many energy-boosters and quick fixes, CBD supports overall wellness and balance—helping you remain clear, focused, and in control, as you meet your workout goals. However, when it comes down to the question of “How long does CBD take to work?”, it is important to note that consistency is key to experiencing the benefits of CBD.
What’s more, CBD may take the edge off of your recovery days, helping to soothe sore muscles and alleviate aches so that you don’t have to put your fitness dreams on ice.
Motivated? Meet Resilience
If you’ve ever watched your day off turn into a month or even a year, you know that motivation can be fickle. Once it fades away, it can be difficult to relocate.
Motivation, after all, is tough to pin down. It can feel intrinsic to your deepest self, rooted in personal ambitions and lofty goals. It can also arrive from external factors—inspiring pep talks, energizing songs, and stimulating atmospheres.
While motivation might feel mysterious, it works just like a muscle. It’s always there, right under the surface, requiring dedication and effort to pump it up and make it stronger. We’ve had the power all along to increase our workout motivation. It’s just a matter of practice—and support, which you can get through a CBD starter package.
By sticking to routines, celebrating small wins, and kickstarting our workouts with stimulating and restorative CBD, we can tap into our workout motivation and make our health and wellness dreams realities.
Renewing your gym membership and drafting up a workout contract? You’ve got it handled.
We’ll take care of the premium, natural-made CBD. Our oils, gummies, topicals, and capsules are created for active lifestyles, designed to support every step of your wellness journey—from motivation to recovery—empowering you to keep on going and embrace the road ahead.
Ready to set new goals—and get after them with ease? Join Team Resilience and try our CBD Starter Package today. It includes CBD sports cream, CBD gummies, and two CBD bath bombs to help revitalize your body to help meet your next workout goal.
CNN. Why Endorphins (and Exercise) Make You Happy. https://www.cnn.com/2016/01/13/health/endorphins-exercise-cause-happiness/index.html
Daily Burn. 4 Science-Backed Ways to Motivate Yourself to Workout. https://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/workout-motivation-tips/
Healthline. Can CBD Help Energy and Focus? https://www.healthline.com/health/cbd-for-energy
Medical News Today. What are some of the top CBD products for energy? https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/cbd-for-energy#effectiveness
Healthline. A Simple Guide to the Endocannabinoid System. https://www.healthline.com/health/endocannabinoid-system